US President Trump Preparing for Escalation in Tensions with Iran, Targets Nuclear Development

Middle East News

US President Trump Preparing for Escalation in Tensions with Iran, Targets Nuclear Development
Middle EastTensionsUS-Iran Relations

President Trump expressed readiness for attacks on Iran if they do not agree to his demand. Iran warns against aggression and launches a new body to control traffic of the Strait of Hormuz waterway. The US reiterates its determination to prevent Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon.

"Believe me, if we don't get the right answers, it goes very quickly. We're all ready to go," said Trump. An aerial view of the Iranian shores and the island of Qeshm in the Strait of Hormuz.

Add CNA as a trusted source to help Google better understand and surface our content in search results. DUBAI: US President Donald Trump on Wednesday said the United States was ready to proceed with further attacks on Tehran if Iran did not agree to aSpeaking to reporters, Trump said the situation was"right on the borderline" and could escalate quickly.

"Believe me, if we don't get the right answers, it goes very quickly. We're all ready to go," he said at Joint Base Andrews. Asked how long he would wait, Trump said:"It could be a few days, but it could go very quickly.

" Iran warned against renewed attacks. "If aggression against Iran is repeated, the promised regional war will extend beyond the region this time," the Revolutionary Guards said in a statement. Tehran also launched a new"Persian Gulf Strait Authority" to control traffic in the critical Strait of Hormuz waterway. Trump reiterated his determination not to allow Iran to acquire a nuclear weapon.

"We're in the final stages of Iran. We'll see what happens. Either have a deal or we're going to do some things that are a little bit nasty, but hopefully that won't happen," Trump told reporters earlier in the day.

"Ideally I'd like to see few people killed, as opposed to a lot. We can do it either way.

" He spoke with Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan, who welcomed the extension of the ceasefire and told Trump he thought a"reasonable solution" was possible, Ankara said. Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf, Iran's top peace negotiator, said in an audio message on social media that"obvious and hidden moves by the enemy" showed the Americans were preparing new attacks.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said Tehran remained open to negotiations, but added in an X post,"forcing Iran to surrender through coercion is nothing but an illusion". Foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said Iran was pursuing negotiations"with seriousness and good faith, but it has strong and reasonable suspicion over America's performance".

In the latest diplomatic push, the interior minister of Pakistan - which hosted the only round of peace talks so far and has since been the conduit for messages between the sides - was in Tehran on Wednesday. Baghaei said Washington and Tehran continued to exchange messages through the Pakistani minister's mediation. Iran submitted a new offer to the US this week.

Tehran's descriptions suggest it largely repeats terms previously rejected by Trump, including demands for control of the Strait of Hormuz, compensation for war damage, lifting of sanctions, release of frozen assets and the withdrawal of US troops. Trump on Tuesday said he had been an hour away from ordering attacks this week in response to requests from several of Iran's Gulf neighbours.

Pro-government demonstrators wave Iranian flags during their gathering at a square in downtown Tehran, Iran, Tuesday, May 19, 2026. Iran has largely shut the Strait of Hormuz to all ships apart from its own since the US-Israeli attacks began on Feb 28, causing the biggest disruption to global energy supplies in history. The US responded last month with its own blockade of Iran's ports.

Iran on Wednesday announced a"controlled maritime zone" at the strait and said transit would require authorisation from the newly created authority. It says it aims to reopen the strait to friendly countries that abide by its terms. That could potentially include fees for access, which Washington says would be unacceptable. Two giant Chinese tankers laden with a total of around 4 million barrels of oil exited the strait on Wednesday.

Iran had announced last week, while Trump was in Beijing for a summit, that it had agreed to ease rules for Chinese ships. South Korea's foreign minister said on Wednesday a Korean tanker was crossing the strait in cooperation with Iran. Shipping monitor Lloyd's List said at least 54 ships had transited the strait last week, about double the previous week.

Iran said 26 ships had crossed in the past 24 hours, still only a fraction of the 140 per day before the war. Trump is under pressure to end the war, with soaring energy prices hurting his Republican Party ahead of congressional elections in November. Benchmark one-month Brent crude futures settled at US$105.02 per barrel late on Wednesday, down 5.63 per cent on the day on revived hopes of a deal.

"Investors are keen to gauge whether Washington and Tehran can actually find common ground and reach a peace agreement, with the US stance shifting daily," said Toshitaka Tazawa, an analyst at Fujitomi Securities. The US-Israeli bombing killed thousands of people in Iran before it was suspended in a ceasefire in early April. Israel has also killed thousands more and driven hundreds of thousands from their homes in Lebanon, which it invaded in pursuit of the Iran-backed Hezbollah militia.

Iranian strikes on Israel and neighbouring Gulf states have killed dozens of people. Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said when they launched the war that their aims were to curb Iran's support for regional militias, dismantle its nuclear programme, destroy its missile capabilities and make it easier for Iranians to topple their rulers. But Iran has so far retained its stockpile of near-weapons-grade enriched uranium, and its ability to threaten neighbours with missiles, drones and proxy militias.

Its clerical rulers, who put down a mass uprising at the start of the year, have faced no sign of organised opposition since the war began.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

ChannelNewsAsia /  🏆 6. in SG

Middle East Tensions US-Iran Relations Iranian Shores Strait Of Hormuz US President Donald Trump Iranian Threat Iran Nuclear Program

 

United States Latest News, United States Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping struggle to reach trade agreement during summitUS President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping struggle to reach trade agreement during summitDespite the focus on strategic stability during the summit, the limited progress on trade and the Iran war leaves investor enthusiasm in check.
Read more »

Trump backs off Iran strikes, insists US has already won the warTrump backs off Iran strikes, insists US has already won the warPresident Donald Trump has backed down from plans to launch attacks on Iran, saying he put them on hold at the request of Gulf Arab states due to ongoing negotiations. Despite setting deadlines for Iran and then backing off, Trump maintains the US has already won the war and that a deal will be reached.
Read more »

US President Trump's Comments on Iran-US Tensions and Oil PricesUS President Trump's Comments on Iran-US Tensions and Oil PricesOil prices eased after US President Donald Trump's reassertion that the war with Iran will end 'very quickly', despite concerns about the outcome of peace talks and continued disruptions to Middle East supply from the conflict. Brent crude oil futures fell 45 cents to US$110.83 a barrel and US West Texas Intermediate futures were down 27 cents to $103.88.
Read more »

Rubio heads to a Nato meeting as European angst over Trump reliability, US troops, Iran growsRubio heads to a Nato meeting as European angst over Trump reliability, US troops, Iran growsWASHINGTON — Secretary of State Marco Rubio will travel this week to a Nato foreign ministers meeting in Sweden, where US plans to reduce troop levels in Europe coupled with President Donald Trump's often inconsistent stance on the alliance have created concern while the world grapples with the fallout from the Iran war and rising energy prices.
Read more »



Render Time: 2026-05-21 01:42:59