Battle-weary Sudanese sceptical as rivals agree to new ceasefire

Singapore News News

Battle-weary Sudanese sceptical as rivals agree to new ceasefire
Singapore Latest News,Singapore Headlines
  • 📰 ChannelNewsAsia
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 54 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 25%
  • Publisher: 66%

KHARTOUM: Heavy clashes again rocked Sudan's capital on Sunday (May 21) hours after rival generals agreed to an upcoming one-week ceasefire, the latest in a series of truces that have been systematically violated. The ceasefire is set to take effect at 9.45pm (1945 GMT) on Monday, the United States and Sau

But Khartoum residents - who for weeks have been sheltering from brutal urban warfare amid desperately low supplies of food and vital resources - were sceptical that this time would be any different.

"We do not trust the warring sides," said Adam Issa, a shop owner in El-Geneina, West Darfur."Every time they announce a truce and they go back to fighting. We want a permanent ceasefire, not a temporary truce." They installed a ruling council with Burhan at its head and Daglo as his deputy, but their marriage of convenience later disintegrated, and their power struggle came to blows.

He also directly addressed Daglo - whose most recent bone of contention with Burhan was over the RSF's integration into the regular army - saying"Sudan's stability can only be re-established by a professional and unified army".In Khartoum, doctors have repeatedly condemned bombardments on hospitals which have come under attack by both the air force's fighter jets and the RSF's artillery.

In the Vatican on Sunday, Pope Francis welcomed"the partial agreements reached so far" but called"on the international community to spare no effort ... to ease the suffering of the population".

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

ChannelNewsAsia /  🏆 6. in SG

Singapore Latest News, Singapore Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

The Smiths bassist Andy Rourke dies aged 59 after lengthy battle with pancreatic cancerThe Smiths bassist Andy Rourke dies aged 59 after lengthy battle with pancreatic cancerThe Smiths bassist Andy Rourke has died at the age of 59, following a lengthy battle with pancreatic cancer. His former bandmate Johnny Marr confirmed the sad news and hailed his late friend a 'supremely gifted musician'. In a Twitter statement, he wrote: 'It is with deep sadness that we announce the passing of Andy Rourke after a lengthy illness...
Read more »

Krafton gets approval to resume battle-royale game in IndiaKrafton gets approval to resume battle-royale game in IndiaSouth Korea's Krafton Inc, a company backed by China's Tencent on Friday (May 19) said it received approval from Indian authorities to resume its popular battle-royale format game in the country after being banned for nearly a year. The government had in July blocked Krafton's title Battlegrounds Mobile India (BGMI), citing concerns about its data-sharing and mining in China. BGMI...
Read more »

Investors look past US tech sector as uncertain environment clouds outlookInvestors look past US tech sector as uncertain environment clouds outlookMUMBAI : Investors are looking beyond the U.S. technology sector's bounceback this year for longer-term returns, as higher interest rates and an uncertain macroeconomic picture could present further headwinds, fund managers and strategists said.The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite has jumped 21 per cent this y
Read more »

Timor-Leste heads to the polls in parliamentary electionTimor-Leste heads to the polls in parliamentary electionJAKARTA - Timor-Leste voters headed to the polls on Sunday (May 21) in a parliamentary election that analysts said would likely see two resistance-era figures battle to be prime minister. Sunday's poll is the country's fifth parliamentary election since Timor-Leste gained full independence in 2002 following decades-long occupation by Indonesia. Mr Jose Maria Vasconcelos, who has been prime minister since...
Read more »

G7 leaders agree to new initiative to fight economic coercionG7 leaders agree to new initiative to fight economic coercionTOKYO : Group of Seven leaders on Saturday (May 20) agreed to a new initiative to counter economic coercion, and pledged action to ensure that any actors attempting to weaponise economic dependence would fail and face consequences. The initiative, dubbed Coordination Platform on Economic Coercion, will use
Read more »

Astons cooks turned hawkers: 'Our ex-colleagues say our chicken chop is better'Astons cooks turned hawkers: 'Our ex-colleagues say our chicken chop is better'Do the brothers — who worked at the Astons restaurant chain before opening their own Western food stall — agree that their $7.50 chicken chop tastes superior?
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-03 23:35:12