Only men between 18 and 25 are required to sign up for the Selective Service System. Now, a congressionally mandated panel says the requirement should extend 'to all individuals of the applicable age cohort.'
. Finding number 49:"The Commission recommends that Congress amend the Military Selective Service Act to eliminate male-only registration and expand draft eligibility to all individuals of the applicable age cohort."
The recommendation that women register for possible obligatory military service comes five years after then-Defense Secretary Ashton CarterCongress had previously refused to expand the Selective Service sign-up requirement to women on the grounds that a draft would be primarily to fill combat positions in which women at that time were ineligible to serve.
"This is not a report that should sit on the shelf — this is a call to action," Reed said on Wednesday. "It focuses on insuring that our military and public sectors can attract and retain the talent necessary to defend and support the nation."
Singapore Latest News, Singapore Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
CDC Issues Travel Notices for Several New Countries Including Thailand and Chile Due to CoronavirusOver the past three days, the CDC has also issued new travel notices for Pakistan, Turkey, Canada, Brazil, Japan, Israel and Australia
Read more »
New Mexico governor issues statewide stay-at-home orderNew Mexico Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham on Monday issued a statewide stay-at-...
Read more »
Idaho governor issues 'stay home' orderThe novel coronavirus pandemic continues to spread worldwide, sending countries into lockdown with millions under movement restrictions. Follow here for live updates
Read more »
Roger Goodell issues memo telling NFL teams to close facilities effective WednesdayThe NFL commissioner's memo says all club facilities would be closed by 6 p.m. local time Wednesday, with limited exceptions, two reports state. These facility closures – sparked by the coronavirus pandemic – will continue until at least April 8.
Read more »
Miami issues stay-at-home order; 'If you're coming from spring break, go home,' mayor says'We are putting in a shelter in place or stay at home order in today,' Suarez said. 'We're hoping that people get the message to stay home and if you're coming from spring break, go home.'
Read more »
Dazed Media to Make Digital Issues Free Amid Coronavirus LockdownThe move comes as Britain bans public gatherings of more than two as it battles the deadly virus.
Read more »