Extension of Jobs Support Scheme among S$8 billion worth of measures announced by Heng Swee Keat

Singapore News News

Extension of Jobs Support Scheme among S$8 billion worth of measures announced by Heng Swee Keat
Singapore Latest News,Singapore Headlines
  • 📰 ChannelNewsAsia
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 93 sec. here
  • 3 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 40%
  • Publisher: 66%

JUST IN: New COVID19 support measures to cost S$8 billion, to be funded by reallocating money from other areas; no plans to draw further on past reserves, says Heng Swee Keat

SINGAPORE: A seven-month extension of wage subsidies under the Jobs Support Scheme and a new initiative to bolster hiring in still-growing sectors were among the S$8 billion worth of measures announced on Monday , as Singapore continues its support for workers and businesses hurt by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The scheme – which has so far seen the Government co-funding between 25 per cent and 75 per cent of the first S$4,600 of gross monthly wages paid to each Singaporean or permanent resident employee – was set to expire after covering salaries in August, with payouts disbursed in October. Some sectors are also recovering faster than others, so the wage subsidy scheme will be tweaked based on the projected recovery of the different sectors, he said.

The large majority of the remaining sectors will be given wage support of 10 per cent for wages paid until March 2021. Mr Heng urged all businesses to make full use of this additional support to retain and upskill their workers, while transforming their operations so that they can bounce back faster when the recovery comes.

Nevertheless, the Government will continue its support for those who have fallen on hard times, he stressed. From Oct 1, the extension will be open to both existing CSG recipients and new applicants. To qualify, unemployed applicants must demonstrate job search or training efforts, Mr Heng said. More details will be shared by the Ministry of Social and Family Development early next month.

“Our labour market is likely to remain weak beyond 2020. We are studying how to continue supporting employees and self-employed persons who are most vulnerable,” he added.Mr Heng also stressed the importance of continuing to embark on economic transformation, noting that a post-COVID-19 world “will not be business-as-usual”.

To continue to spur innovation and entrepreneurship, up to S$150 million will be set aside to enhance the Startup SG Founder programme in phases. Mr Heng said the Government intends to fund these measures “by reallocating monies from other areas, such as development expenditures that were delayed due to COVID-19”.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

ChannelNewsAsia /  🏆 6. in SG

Singapore Latest News, Singapore Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Filipinos eke out a living online as Covid-19 pandemic decimates jobs and incomesFilipinos eke out a living online as Covid-19 pandemic decimates jobs and incomesMANILA - By 1pm, dietitian Violah Koh, 39, has already received her fifth package of the day: two plants, pots and some garden soil. Throughout the morning, a kilo of tilapias, a bagful of onions, garlic and ginger, and a powerbank were delivered to her doorsteps. Still to arrive is an order of iced coffee from Dunkin' Donuts.. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »

The Big Read: With COVID-19 annihilating jobs, many are feeling the pain - and it will get worseThe Big Read: With COVID-19 annihilating jobs, many are feeling the pain - and it will get worseThe expectation that retrenchments are likely to increase stems from the severe depth of the current recession, which is set to be longer than the ...
Read more »

The Big Read: With Covid-19 annihilating jobs, many are feeling the pain — and it will get worseThe Big Read: With Covid-19 annihilating jobs, many are feeling the pain — and it will get worseSINGAPORE — In May, Nicholas (not his real name), 27, received an email from the food and beverage (F&B) company where he was employed as a quality control officer. It was during the circuit breaker measures which saw many businesses stop operations, and he and his colleagues had gone on no-pay leave.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-05 15:22:14