MANILA: Joint patrols between the Philippines and the United States in the South China Sea may begin later this year, a top diplomat said on Monday (May 8), just days after Washin
But Philippine Defense Secretary Galvez told reporters on Monday there were no formal discussions on the joint patrols with the US and Australia.
Ties between the Philippines and the US are seeing a reinvigoration under Duterte's successor, Ferdinand Marcos Jr, who last week met President Joe Biden on a four-day visit to Washington. During the visit, the Pentagon issued guidelines that laid out in clear terms the extent of US defence treaty commitments to the Philippines that refer specifically to attacks in the South China Sea, including on its coast guard.
When asked about the timing of the joint patrols, a spokesperson at US Embassy in Manila, Kanishka Gangopadhyay, said on Monday:"Our conversations on combined maritime activities with the Philippines are continuing, and our military planners are working hard on specific issues like logistics."China claims most of the South China Sea, through which more than US$3 trillion of world trade is shipped every year. Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei, the Philippines and Taiwan have rival claims.
Singapore Latest News, Singapore Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
An oil tanker ablaze in the South China Sea is a global problemWith limited details on who is responsible for the vessel, there has been no one to hold to account. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
Best Nasi Lemak in Orchard Road at this gritty hidden joint that only opens at 10.30pmThe charming retro diner has just eight counter seats that feel very exclusive.
Read more »
Philippines eye World Cup boost with prized Vietnam scalp at SEA GamesPHNOM PENH: The fast-improving Philippines are building up to their maiden FIFA Women's World Cup, but first, Southeast Asian glory is at stake and a must-win clash against Vietnam awaits on Tuesday (May 9).
Read more »
Four Singaporeans injured after car crash on North-South ExpresswayFour Singaporeans were injured after their Toyota SUV collided with another car on the way to Genting Highlands, Malaysian media reported on Friday. The impact, which caused both cars to turn turtle, killed the Malaysian driver of the other car, a 41-year-old site...
Read more »
Municipalities offer subsidies for hair loss treatment for young South KoreansA growing number of people in their 20s and 30s are seeking treatment for hair loss. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »