Libyan authorities buried the bodies of 46 migrants Sunday after they were plucked from the sea following one of deadliest shipwrecks in the ...
TAJURA, Libya: Libyan authorities buried the bodies of 46 migrants Sunday after they were plucked from the sea following one of deadliest shipwrecks in the Mediterranean so far this year.
"We were saved and here we are today to bury 46 of our brothers, children and women," Anwar, a young Eritrean survivor, told AFP. UN refugee agency chief Filippo Grandi called the wreck"the worst Mediterranean tragedy of this year". Libya, which has been wracked by chaos since the 2011 uprising that killed president Moamer Kadhafi, has long been a major transit route for migrants, especially from sub-Saharan Africa, hoping to reach Europe.
Singapore Latest News, Singapore Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Libya rescuers recover 62 bodies at sea after 'worst' wreck of yearLibya's Red Crescent said Friday its rescue workers had recovered the bodies of 62 migrants a day after one of the deadliest shipwrecks this year ...
Read more »
Libya rescuers recover 62 bodies at sea after 'worst' wreck of yearLibya's Red Crescent said Friday its rescue workers had recovered the bodies of 62 migrants a day after one of the deadliest shipwrecks this year ...
Read more »
Sudan probe shows paramilitaries involved in deadly raid on sit-inA probe into a deadly June raid on a Khartoum protest camp revealed Saturday that a feared Sudanese paramilitary group was involved in the ...
Read more »
Deadly violence mars start of Afghan election seasonThe start of Afghanistan's election season was marred by deadly violence Sunday, just hours after President Ashraf Ghani insisted 'peace is ...
Read more »
Sudan police tear gas rally urging impartial probe into deadly raidSudanese police fired tear gas Sunday at scores of protesters demanding an independent probe into a deadly June raid on a Khartoum sit-in, despite ...
Read more »
Dozens of migrants still stuck on vessel in Italy portAn Italian coastguard vessel stranded in the Mediterranean with more than 130 migrants aboard has been allowed to dock in the eastern Sicilian ...
Read more »