Merkel calls for more restrictions on spyware

Singapore News News

Merkel calls for more restrictions on spyware
Singapore Latest News,Singapore Headlines
  • 📰 ABSCBNNews
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 37 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 18%
  • Publisher: 83%

German Chancellor Angela Merkel urged tighter international controls on the trade in spyware Thursday following reports that several governments used Israeli phone malware to spy on activists, journalists and others.

Asked about the reports of widespread use of the Pegasus software, Merkel said it was "important" that "software configured in this way should not land in the wrong hands".

A collaborative investigation by The Washington Post, The Guardian, Le Monde and other media outlets revealed potentially far more extensive spying than previously thought using the malware from Israel's NSO Group, capable of switching on a phone's camera or microphone and harvesting its data. Merkel called for "very restrictive conditions" on the trade in such spyware in countries in which surveillance operations are not tightly regulated, for example by independent courts.

UN rights chief Michelle Bachelet said Monday the revelations "confirm the urgent need to better regulate the sale, transfer and use of surveillance technology and ensure strict oversight and authorization".

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

ABSCBNNews /  🏆 5. in PH

Singapore Latest News, Singapore Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Toolkit to detect NSO's Pegasus spyware releasedToolkit to detect NSO's Pegasus spyware releasedAmnesty International released a forensic methodology report on how to determine if one is affected by Pegasus, as well as a toolkit that can help detect the spyware on their phones.
Read more »

Parts of Ilocos Norte placed under MECQ starting July 23 as COVID-19 cases surgeParts of Ilocos Norte placed under MECQ starting July 23 as COVID-19 cases surgeIlocos Norte Governor Matthew Marcos Manotoc issued an order placing parts of the province under strict quarantine restrictions due to rising COVID-19 infections.
Read more »

DTI against tighter restrictions amid Delta variant threatDTI against tighter restrictions amid Delta variant threatTrade Secretary Ramon Lopez says he is against more restrictions on businesses amid the threat of the COVID-19 Delta variant spreading in the country.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-08-30 04:15:04