WELLINGTON: New Zealand Cricket have cancelled their under-19 team's scheduled tour of Bangladesh in the wake of last month's mass shooting at two ...
WELLINGTON: New Zealand Cricket have cancelled their under-19 team's scheduled tour of Bangladesh in the wake of last month's mass shooting at two mosques in Christchurch.
The decision had been reached with agreement of the Bangladesh Cricket Board, NZC Chairman Greg Barclay said in a statement on Monday.Barclay added that both NZC and the BCB had agreed that proceeding with the April tour would be"insensitive and inappropriate" so soon after the shooting that left 50 people dead.
The third test, which had been scheduled to start at nearby Hagley Oval the following day, was cancelled and the Bangladesh team left the country."We have conveyed our deep sense of regret over the circumstances leading to this mutual decision, and the BCB have been both understanding and generous in response," Barclay said.
"NZC have nothing but respect for the BCB and believe this development has only served to bring our countries closer together, and to strengthen our bond through cricket."
Singapore Latest News, Singapore Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
New Emperor, new era: Japan to unveil name of new era under Naruhito's reign on MondayTOKYO - The end of an era is nigh for Japan, which will bid farewell to Heisei (achieving peace) when its revered Emperor Akihito steps down on April 30 and usher in a new epoch as the clock strikes midnight on May 1.. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
Banning of manifesto raises free speech debate in N. ZealandDUNEDIN, New Zealand (AP) — New Zealanders are debating the limits of free speech after their chief censor banned the 74-page manifesto written and released by the man accused of slaughtering 50 people at two mosques in the city of Christchurch.
Read more »
New Zealand PM Ardern says she will meet President Xi in ChinaWELLINGTON: New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said on Monday (Mar 25) she will travel to China at the end of the week for a meeting with ...
Read more »
New Zealand PM Ardern says she will meet President Xi Jinping in ChinaWELLINGTON (REUTERS) - New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said on Monday (March 25) she will travel to China at the end of the week for a meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping.. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
New Zealand PM Ardern orders top-level judicial inquiry into Christchurch mosque attacksWELLINGTON (AFP) - New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern on Monday (March 25) ordered an independent judicial inquiry into the Christchurch mosque attacks, asking whether police and intelligence services could have prevented the March 15 attack.. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
Christchurch shootings: New Zealand PM orders inquiry into mosques massacreWELLINGTON: New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern on Monday (Mar 25) ordered an independent judicial inquiry into the Christchurch mosque ...
Read more »
Body of Indian student killed in New Zealand attack returns homeThe body of an Indian student killed in the Christchurch mosque attacks was returned Monday to her grieving family in Kochi, where relatives remembered a bright young woman dedicated to her studies. Ansi Alibava, 25, was the first of at least five Indians shot dead by a white supremacist in New Zealand
Read more »
New Zealand PM announces royal commission inquiry into Christchurch attackNew Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced on Monday a royal commission, a powerful form of public inquiry, into the events leading up to a March 15 attack on two mosques in Christchurch that killed 50 people. 'It is important that no stone is left unturned to get to the bottom of how
Read more »
Popular New Zealand website seeks comments detox after Christchurch attackNew Zealand's largest news website, Stuff, cracked down on reader comments Tuesday after the Christchurch mosque massacre sparked debate about how ...
Read more »
Motorway bridge in New Zealand washed away in torrential rainstormSYDNEY (REUTERS) - A motorway bridge over a New Zealand river was washed away in a severe rainstorm on Tuesday (March 26), prompting the authorities to declare a state of emergency.. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »