Yergin said there were two main factors driving the turnaround to the deal that just six weeks ago 'would not have seemed possible.'
But Yergin said: " came to see this as a national security issue, also an employment issue, and a very important factor in the U.S. economy … and he just jumped in."
Firstly, he said, the price of oil was in danger of crashing without a deal as there was limited inventory space left. That would have had "severe repercussions" beyond the oil industry itself and other sectors such as finance. "I think all those things came together but then it was this dealmaker ... Donald Trump who got on the phones," Yergin said. "I would say it looked like a mission impossible a few weeks ago. Turned out, it was mission possible."
OPEC+ is hoping that nations outside of the group, including the U.S., Canada and Norway, will also cut back on production in an effort to shore up prices. For his part, Trump has noted that market forces would naturally curb output stateside, after previously stopping short of saying the U.S. would scale back production.
Singapore Latest News, Singapore Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
OPEC and allies finalize record oil production cut after days of discussion
Read more »
Russia's Novak says hopes OPEC+ to be fully agreed in coming days: RIARussian Energy Minister Alexander Novak said on Sunday he hoped that the group of leading oil producers will fully agree and sign a deal to cut the global crude output in the coming days, Russian state-run RIA news agency reported.
Read more »
Russian, Saudi ministers to chair OPEC+ meeting on Sunday: AzerbaijanRussian Energy Minister Alexander Novak and Saudi Energy Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman will chair an OPEC and non-OPEC online meeting later on Sunday, the Azerbaijan energy ministry said.
Read more »
Oil prices are flat after OPEC and allies agree to historic production cutOil prices were flat in overnight trading after OPEC and its allies agreed to a historic deal to cut production by a record 9.7 million barrels per day.
Read more »
OPEC+ reaches deal to cut oil production by 9.7 million barrels per dayIn an emergency virtual meeting Sunday, OPEC+ arrived at a deal to slash oil production by 9.7 million barrels a day starting May 1, a senior OPEC source tells CNN. The cuts will remain in place through June, the source said.
Read more »