Philippines rolls out 'reboot' of coronavirus response as Manila exits lockdown

Singapore News News

Philippines rolls out 'reboot' of coronavirus response as Manila exits lockdown
Singapore Latest News,Singapore Headlines
  • 📰 The Straits Times
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 50 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 23%
  • Publisher: 63%

MANILA - Hospitals in capital Manila remain overwhelmed and health workers are still overworked two weeks after a strict coronavirus lockdown, but a 'reboot' of the official response should see infections plateauing or even going down, the government and health experts said on Tuesday (Aug 18).. Read more at straitstimes.com.

MANILA - Hospitals in capital Manila remain overwhelmed and health workers are still overworked two weeks after a strict coronavirus lockdown, but a"reboot" of the official response should see infections plateauing or even going down, the government and health experts said on Tuesday .

The Health Ministry said on Tuesday infections neared 170,000, with 4,836 new cases. More than 2,680 people had died."Right now, we're still receiving so many reports about how overwhelming the waiting time is at emergency departments, that are filled to the brim and can no longer admit patients," said Dr Pauline Convocar, president of the Philippine College of Emergency Medicine.

The Philippines went through one of the longest shelter-at-home restrictions in the world, from mid-March to May. More community treatment and isolation facilities will be built, so that mayors and other grassroots leaders can respond more effectively, as testing uncovers outbreaks in their areas, he added.Professor Guido David, who heads a University of the Philippines' research team that tracks Covid-19 statistics, said if the government follows up on the changes in its pandemic response, the Philippines could soon see a"flattening" of Covid-19 cases.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

The Straits Times /  🏆 8. in SG

Singapore Latest News, Singapore Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Coronavirus: Despite outbreak, Duterte again lifts Manila lockdown to save economyCoronavirus: Despite outbreak, Duterte again lifts Manila lockdown to save economyMANILA - Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has decided to lift a lockdown that has been in place in Metropolitan Manila and four outlying provinces since Aug 4, choosing to save jobs over a more aggressive approach to contain the coronavirus outbreak.. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »

Philippines promises 'refreshed' COVID-19 approach as capital exits strict lockdownPhilippines promises 'refreshed' COVID-19 approach as capital exits strict lockdownPhilippine President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday eased the strict coronavirus lockdown in and around the capital Manila as his government promised a ...
Read more »

Coronavirus: Despite outbreak, Duterte again lifts Manila lockdown to save economyCoronavirus: Despite outbreak, Duterte again lifts Manila lockdown to save economyMANILA - Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has decided to lift a lockdown that has been in place in Metropolitan Manila and four outlying provinces since Aug 4, choosing to save jobs over a more aggressive approach to contain the coronavirus outbreak.. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »

Spain reports 1,833 new COVID-19 infections, below last week's record highsSpain reports 1,833 new COVID-19 infections, below last week's record highsSpain diagnosed 1,833 new coronavirus infections in the past 24 hours, the health ministry said on Monday, below Friday's post-lockdown record of ...
Read more »

Mutated coronavirus strain detected in PhilippinesMutated coronavirus strain detected in PhilippinesMANILA (PHILIPPINE DAILY INQUIRER/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - A mutated strain of the SARS-CoV-2 virus believed to be more infectious than the original variant of the coronavirus that causes Covid-19 has been detected in the Philippines.. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »

Philippine minister Eduardo Ano tests positive for coronavirus for second timePhilippine minister Eduardo Ano tests positive for coronavirus for second timeMANILA (AFP) - A Philippine government minister has tested positive for coronavirus five months after an initial diagnosis, authorities said on Monday (Aug 17), as experts investigate whether he had been re-infected.. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-06 19:28:45