A new report and footage from The New York suggest that a protester, not Venezuela President Nicolás Maduro, was behind last month's chaos at the Venezuela-Colombia border.
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro speaks during the IV Gas Exporting Countries Forum Summit in Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia on November 24, 2017.A month after two people died and 300 were injured in clashes at the Colombia-Venezuela border, a report from The New York Times suggests that a protester was likely behind an aid truck that caught on fire, not Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro's troops, who US officials had thought were behind the incident.
US officials didn't name Maduro in a statement but said he was responsible for"creating the conditions for violence." In addition to questions about the protester, Maduro's critics say that he ordered medication to be set on fire, but the videos do not show evidence about the claim. The officials still held Maduro responsible for"creating the conditions for violence," said Garrett Marquis, a spokesman for the National Security Council.
Singapore Latest News, Singapore Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Despite pressure, Venezuela's Maduro seems set on staying put: U.S. envoyThere are no signs that Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro is open to negotiati...
Read more »
Kelly dismisses need for wall along full US-Mexico borderFormer White House chief of staff John Kelly dismissed calls for a full border wall along the US-Mexico border, telling an audience at Duke University that 'we don't need a wall from sea to shining sea'
Read more »
U.S. looking at new sanctions against Venezuela: U.S. officialThe United States is considering imposing new sanctions on Venezuela to increase...
Read more »
US journalist reportedly detained in VenezuelaAn American freelance journalist has been detained by Venezuelan authorities in a raid on his Caracas home, according to a Venezuelan journalists union.
Read more »
US journalist reportedly detained in Venezuela is releasedAn American freelance journalist reportedly detained by Venezuelan authorities in a raid on his Caracas home has been released
Read more »
Huawei reportedly preparing to sue US governmentChina's Huawei is preparing to file a lawsuit in the Eastern District of Texas to sue the U.S. government for banning federal agencies from using the company's products, the New York Times reported on Monday.
Read more »
U.S. presses India to stop buying oil from Venezuela's Maduro: envoyThe United States is pressing India to stop buying oil from Venezuelan President...
Read more »
Venezuela enters fourth day of blackout as Maduro blames U.S. for power outageVenezuelans woke up to a fourth day of an unprecedented nationwide blackout on S...
Read more »
U.S. journalist detained in Venezuela says he was pushed to support MaduroVenezuelan security officials who detained an American journalist for more than ...
Read more »