Victorian Premier DanielAndrewsMP has defended his government’s push to extend the state of emergency for up to 12 months, claiming it was essential for the Chief Health Officer to continue to exercise rule-making powers.
Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews has defended his government’s push to extend the state of emergency for up to 12 months, claiming it was essential for the Chief Health Officer to continue to exercise rule-making powers. “It's very important beyond 13 September that, of course, we have the ability to make rules so that we can open up,” he said.
He said the Labor government was holding “very productive discussions with the crossbench” and was hopeful a positive outcome would be achieved. “We will get an outcome that allows the Chief Health Officer to continue to do his important work and allows all of the team to continue to make decisions based on science and evidence that are proportionate to the challenges we face”. The government needs the legal authority to ensure people who test positive for COVID-19 remain in isolation”.
Singapore Latest News, Singapore Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Vic Health implements evidence-based strategies to reduce staff infections | Sky News AustraliaVictorian Chief Medical Officer Andrew Wilson has outlined the conclusions reached and strategies implemented following research into Victoria’s health sector in a bid to reduce the risk of infection to staff in health settings. \n\nAs of August 23, just over 2,600 coronavirus infections had been recorded among Victorian health care workers.\n\nMr Wilson said most cases were reported in July and August in two distinct waves.\n\n“In hospitals about 70 per cent of people who were infected are nursing staff while a much smaller number are medical staff,” he said.\n\nHe said the evidence from the research suggested poor infection practices, an environment of contamination and staff members traveling between facilities were some of the primary drivers of outbreaks in nursing homes.\n\nIn hospitals, some outbreaks occurred in busy wards while other infections were linked to putting on and removal of personal protective equipment.\n\n“There’s a whole series of different things that we’re learning and that we’re acting on to try and prevent infections,' he said. \n\nImage: News Corp Australia
Read more »
Andrews labels 12-month extension of powers 'insurance policy' | Sky News AustraliaVictoria Premier Daniel Andrews has labelled his plan to extend State of Emergency powers until September 2021 an 'insurance policy' he 'certainly' hopes he will not have to use.\n\n'These restrictions will be in place for not one day longer than they need to be,' he said.\n\n'Unless we have a legal framework that sits behind that, then we won't be able to say to a publican, you can have 50 people in your pub. \n\n'We won't be able to say to a big workplace, you can stay open, but you will need to have a series of rules, plans and processes to make sure that you're keeping your staff and the community safe.' \n\nState Opposition Leader Michael O'Brien indicated his party would not support the bill meaning the premier would need four Upper-House crossbenchers to back it when it was introduced in parliament next week.\n\nThe powers would allow the Victoria government to extend a state of emergency in four-week blocks for up to 12 months as well as greater powers to enforce mandatory quarantine, COVID safe plans for businesses and mandatory mask-wearing.\n\n'Once we are past that second wave, in order to open up - in order to start the rebuilding process - we'll still need rules in place. Otherwise, we simply wouldn't be able to open up,' Mr Andrews said.\n\n'But until we get a vaccine, there's going to need to be rules, there's going to need to be a system, and a framework, to keep us safe, and to allow us to open up.'\n\nImage: Getty
Read more »
Vic State of Emergency extension nothing but 'a power grab' from Andrews | Sky News AustraliaVictoria Opposition Leader Michael O'Brien has labelled Premier Daniel Andrews' plan to extend state of emergency powers to September 2021, a 'power grab'.\n\nMr O'Brien said the reason state of emergency legislation only allowed for a six-month stretch period was because they were 'extraordinary powers'.\n\n'Victorians are going through curfews at the moment. Most businesses are closed down,' he said. \n\n'It is extraordinary the level of intrusion and restriction we live under and no government, no politician should be able to do that indefinitely.\n\n'Daniel Andrews has had that power for six months. He now wants it for 12 months with no accountability.'\n\nThe Liberal leader said he was willing to meet with the premier to discuss a timed extension for the state's reopening but said it was more important state parliament be allowed to sit.\n\n'There's no reason why parliament should not be sitting, for example, on a monthly basis... if the premier needs a month by month extension, he can make that case to the people of Victoria and if he's not prepared to do that, why should anyone give him a blank cheque?'\n\nMr O'Brien said he had not been contacted by Mr Andrews in months.\n\n'It's quite clear, Daniel Andrews only has a plan to keep us locked down. He doesn't have a plan to get us out of lockdown,' he said.\n\n'There is no justification for a year-long extension to these state of emergency powers.'\n\n'This is a premier who thinks he knows it all when Victoria is the only state going through a second wave because of his government's hotel quarantine failure.'\n\nImage: News Corp Australia\n
Read more »
‘Overbearing rules’ and a government ‘wanting more power’ inflicted on Victorians | Sky News AustraliaSky News host Chris Kenny says Australians cannot accept the job losses, social chaos, suicides, poor medical care for other conditions, inhibited personal freedoms and mounting debt for future generations, without question, for any longer. \n\nOn Monday, Premier Daniel Andrews announced Victoria’s state of emergency will be extended for 12 months beyond the scheduled September 13 finish date.\n\nMr Andrews said a decision was yet to be made as to when the Victorian Parliament would sit to pass the bill, but it would be made “available at the appropriate time”.\n\nMr Kenny said what is being seen are “overbearing rules … (and) a government wanting more power for longer”. \n\n“The extent of overbearing rules in Victoria is just extraordinary and it is getting worse”. \n\nDiscussing the potential of a vaccine to combat the deadly virus, Mr Kenny said, “let's hope for the best, lets all hope a vaccine is developed as soon as possible, but we have to plan for the worst”. \n\nImage: Getty
Read more »
There is 'no logic' to Australia's avoidance of nuclear power | Sky News AustraliaBroadcaster Michael McLaren says it is simply fear and ideology that is keeping Australia from using nuclear power.\n\nAustralia has 40 per cent of the world’s uranium reserves, and yet it is illegal to operate a nuclear reactor in the country.\n\nThere are 450 nuclear power plants worldwide. \n\n“Even Joe Biden … and his Green New Deal is saying that small, modular, nuclear reactors have to be part of America’s future,” Mr McLaren told Sky News host Alan Jones. \n\n“Even sleepy Joe gets it, and yet out here, as you said, we’ve got the world’s largest uranium mine at Olympic Dam.\n\n“Cory Bernardi knows better than most, South Australia could become one of the wealthiest jurisdictions in the world if they allowed nuclear energy and the safe storage of waste in the middle of nowhere in South Australia.\n\n“And yet for whatever reason - there’s no logic to it, it’s just fear and ideology - we don’t proceed.”\n\nImage: Getty
Read more »
Andrews wants to ‘remain as dictator Dan’ for another 12 months | Sky News AustraliaThe only thing Premier Daniel Andrews does not control in Victoria is the state’s upper house, which will be crucial in his pursuit to “remain as dictator Dan for at least another 12 months,” according to Sky News host Paul Murray.\n\nMr Andrews announced on Monday Victoria’s state of emergency will be extended for 12 months beyond the scheduled September 13 finish date. \n\nState of emergency powers allow the Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton to instruct his officials to detain people, search without warrants, and force lockdowns if it is considered a necessity in public health terms.\n\nHowever, the premier first needs to pass a bill to amend the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 in Victoria’s upper house where he needs 21 votes.\n\n“For this to be extended for another 12 months you need the upper house to approve it,” said Mr Murray.\n\nImage: Getty
Read more »