Survivors of the 2015 Charleston church mass shooting can sue the federal government for its alleged failure of enforcing national background checks on gun purchases, court rules.
Survivors of the mass shooting inside a Charleston, South Carolina, church in 2015 should be allowed to sue the federal government for its alleged failure of enforcing national background checks on gun purchases,A lower court had previously had dismissed the case filed by survivors and family members of victims of the attack on Mother Emanuel AME Church, carried out by Dylann Roof on June 17, 2015.
But the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit concluded that the lower court judge was wrong, and revived the case Friday. The 4th Circuit's ruling could also be appealed. The federal government wrongly cited law protecting individual federal employees from civil action as its reason to dismiss the lawsuit, the court ruled.the gun he used to kill nine people and wound three others at Mother Emanuel AME, if federal guidelines had been properly enforced.
Roof had been on a drug offense in February 2015 that, plaintiffs said, should have been him unable to buy the murder weapon under federal statutes.
Singapore Latest News, Singapore Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Atheists can be barred from giving invocation at Pennsylvania statehouse, federal court rulesAmericans United for Separation of Church and State said the ruling is indicative of a 'troubling trend' that allows 'special privileges to people because they believe in a god.'
Read more »
Thai court to rule on Myanmar workers' appeal in British tourist murdersThailand's Supreme Court was set to rule on Thursday in the final appeal of...
Read more »
South Korea's top court orders review of ex-president Park's graft caseSouth Korea's Supreme Court on Thursday overturned part of a ruling that se...
Read more »
College student arrested for allegedly planning, threatening mass shooting on campusPaul A. Steber, a 19-year-old freshman, was arrested by police after campus authorities found firearms and ammunition in his dorm room. He allegedly later confessed to authorities that he had a 'plan and timeline to kill people.'
Read more »
North Carolina Mass Shooting Prevented: What to KnowNorth Carolina mass shooting prevented: what to know
Read more »
Opinion | Three weeks, 24 arrests and zero answers from the White House on mass shootersOpinion | Frank Figliuzzi: 'Our law enforcement officials should be commended for taking the threat of mass shootings seriously, even if many of our elected officials don’t.' - NBCNewsTHINK
Read more »