Syrian opposition and rebels withdraw from Khan Shaykhun in Idlib and towns under their control in neighbouring Hama amid regime forces assault – SOHR war monitor
The regime advances –– backed by Russia –– around Khan Shayhkun had threatened to encircle the opposition, militants and their allied groups in their last remaining territory in northern Hama, including the towns of Latamneh and Kafr Zeita.The observatory said Syrian opposition who had stayed behind in that area had gathered at a Turkish military position in the town of Morek.defence ministry saidIran, Russia and Turkey agreed to create Idlib into a de-escalation zone in 2017.
An investigation conducted by the United Nations and the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons said the Syrian regime was responsible for releasing sarin on the town on April 4, 2017. Damascus denies using such weapons. The latest Syrian regime offensive in the northwest has forced hundreds of thousands of people to flee towards the Turkish border. Turkey, which hosts someand warns it can not accept more, fears the onslaught in Idlib could spark a new influx.
The US-based Union of Medical Care and Relief Organisations , which supports medical facilities in the northwest, says more than 730 civilians had been killed by regime or Russian forces since late April. The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs has said more than 500 civilians have died in hostilities.
Singapore Latest News, Singapore Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Militants leave key rebel town in Idlib as Syrian troops push inThe main insurgent group in the Syrian province of Idlib has pulled out of a key rebel town as government forces advanced in the area on Tuesday.
Read more »
Air strike on Turkish convoy kills 3, injures 12 in Syria's IdlibThe Turkish military convoy was heading toward an observation post established as part of an agreement between Russia, Iran and Turkey to turn Syria's Idlib into a de-escalation zone.
Read more »
Syrian troops advance, militants partially leave rebel townBEIRUT (AP) — The main insurgent group in the Syrian province of Idlib says it partially pulled out its fighters from an opposition-controlled town as government forces advanced in the...
Read more »
Sliver of hope for Syrian families of Assad’s detaineesAs the Syrian regime battles the last rebel stronghold, could it begin to release those detained in inhumane conditions since the beginning of the conflict?
Read more »
No shellfire or bullets, but war still intrudes on tiny Syrian islandIn the years before Syria's war the boatmakers of Arwad used to sell their ...
Read more »
Monitor says Syrian rebels withdraw from town, jihadists say still fightingA Syrian war monitor said rebels had withdrawn from a town in southern Idlib pro...
Read more »