ISTANBUL - Turkey has ended rescue efforts in all provinces except the two hardest hit by last week’s massive quake that killed tens of thousands of people, the Turkish disaster agency said Sunday. Read more at straitstimes.com.
the Turkish disaster agency said Sunday.
“In many of our provinces, search and rescue efforts have been completed. They continue in Kahramanmaras and Hatay provinces,” the agency’s chief Yunus Sezer told reporters in Ankara.Mr Sezer said search and rescue efforts continued at around 40 buildings in the provinces on the 14th day, but expected this number to fall by Sunday evening.Turkish Vice-President Fuat Oktay said Saturday that some 105,000 buildings either collapsed, needed to be demolished or were severely damaged in the quake.
On Saturday, rescuers found a man and a woman alive in the 296th hour in the southern Turkish city of Antakya but their three children did not survive, local media said. AFP
Singapore Latest News, Singapore Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Turkey earthquake: Death toll passes 46,000, many still missing in flattened apartmentsANTAKYA/KAHRAMANMARAS, Turkey – More than 46,000 people have been killed in the earthquake that struck Turkey and Syria and the toll is expected to soar, with some 345,000 apartments in Turkey now known to have been destroyed, and many still missing. As Turkey attempts to manage its worst modern disaster, concerns were growing over the victims of the tragedy in...
Read more »
Turkish Internet bites back at state after deadly quakeGrieving Turks began sharing old tweets and videos embarrassing for the government. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
Turkish Internet bites back at state after deadly quakeISTANBUL: Nothing is ever deleted or forgotten on the Internet. Turkish officials learned that the hard way when grieving users began sharing old tweets and videos embarrassing for the government after last week's
Read more »
Turkish teen filmed 'last moments' from quake-hit apartmentTaha Erdem was destined to be among some of the first saved from the destroyed building in his hometown of Adiyaman.
Read more »
Turkish teen filmed 'last moments' from quake hit apartmentWATCH: Teenager Taha Erdem, who thought he would die in the Türkiye quake, filmed a farewell message while he was trapped under the rubble of his home. “There are many things that I regret. May God forgive me of all my sins.” (Videos: APTN, Taha Erdem)
Read more »
Turkey quake survivors struggle to bury their deadPAZARCIK, Türkiye: In the Turkish town of Pazarcik, a soccer pitch has been turned into a burial ground for people killed by the earthquake which struck 11 days ago. The goal posts are still standing but the field is dotted with about 100 dirt mounds and ditches. Each freshly dug grave is topped with a wo
Read more »