The head of the White House Task Force for the World Cup defended the decision not to grant visas to a Somali referee and some support staff for the Iranian team, citing security concerns.
"We're striking that balance between making sure that any bad actors that ... try to come into the country under the guise of the World Cup will not get access to the United States," says Andrew Giuliani.
Somali referee Omar Abdulkadir Artan, who had been expected to officiate at matches during the 2026 FIFA World Cup but was denied entry to the United States, is received as he arrives at the Aden Abdulle Osman International Airport in Mogadishu on Jun 10, 2026. Add CNA as a trusted source to help Google better understand and surface our content in search results.
WASHINGTON: The head of the White House Task Force for the World Cup on Tuesday defended the decision not to grant visas to a Somali referee and some support staff for the Iranian team.
"To this point we've had 35 teams that have come into the United States," Andrew Giuliani, the executive director of the task force, said at an event hosted by the Atlantic Council in Washington. "No players, no coaches have been denied. There have been some officials that have been denied, and for good reason.
" A US State Department official told AFP on Tuesday night that the referee was"associated with suspected members of terrorist organisations," therefore"making the traveler ineligible for admission to the United States". "We're striking that balance between making sure that any bad actors that ... try to come into the country under the guise of the World Cup will not get access to the United States," he added.
Artan, who in 2025 was named men's referee of the year by the Confederation of African Football, would have been the first Somali to referee at a World Cup. Somalia is one of several countries on a travel ban list introduced by President Donald Trump's administration as part of a broader immigration crackdown.
Iran, who will play their three group games on American soil, were forced to switch their training base to Mexico due to the ongoing military conflict with the US. Giuliani said"all the Iranian coaching staff is coming in" but there are"some Iranian officials that are not coming in - again for very good reason". He said he"can't get into the particulars" but"there are some people that claim that they are coaches that may not be coaches".
Giuliani said Trump wants to make sure that there is a"level playing field" for all of the teams taking part in the World Cup"while also making sure that people that are directly working, let's say, with the IRGC have no ability to access the United States of America". The White House envoy also said there were currently"no credible threats" to the tournament but the intelligence community is"tripled down" and will continue to monitor the situation"between now and whenever the final goal is scored on July 19".
US World Cup Task Force Somali Referee Omar Abdulkadir Artan Iranian Team Security Concerns Travel Ban List
Singapore Latest News, Singapore Headlines
Similar News: You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Iran's World Cup players wear pins for victims of deadly strike on schoolIran's World Cup team arrived in Mexico wearing lapel pins highlighting the victims of a deadly missile strike on an elementary school at the start of the war in the Mideast. The players wore gold-coloured pins with the number 168 on their jackets when getting off their plane Sunday in Tijuana, Mexico.
Read more »
Somali referee won't officiate in World Cup after being denied entry into the USSomali referee Omar Artan won't officiate in the World Cup after being denied entry into the US.US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) said Monday (June 8) that a Somali national who was planning to referee in the World Cup had been denied entry after arriving to Miami International Airport from Istanbul on Saturday.
Read more »
Singapore Intensifies Crackdown on Illegal Gambling Ahead of FIFA World Cup 2026Singapore authorities have announced intensified enforcement against illegal gambling platforms during the FIFA World Cup 2026. A joint statement from the Ministry of Home Affairs and Ministry of Social and Family Development warned that illegal operators lack responsible gambling safeguards, exposing individuals and families to financial and social harm. The statement clarified that all gambling activities in Singapore are illegal unless authorised, with Singapore Pools as the sole licensed operator. Enforcement measures include using the Online Criminal Harms Act to block access, terminating phone numbers used for advertising, and blocking payments. The National Council on Problem Gambling will also launch a public education campaign, "Every Bet Costs Something", featuring a video about the consequences of problem gambling. Authorities urge the public to enjoy the games responsibly without falling into problem gambling.
Read more »
US denies entry to Somali referee Omar Abdulkadir Artan ahead of World CupSomali referee Omar Abdulkadir Artan has been denied entry to the United States ahead of the World Cup, a FIFA spokesperson said on Monday, citing US immigration authorities.
Read more »




