Beyond the Breaking News

Malaysia demands over S$321.6 million as compensation for cancelled naval strike missile system

Politics News

Malaysia demands over S$321.6 million as compensation for cancelled naval strike missile system
MalaysiaDefence MinisterNorway

Malaysian Defence Minister Mohamed Khaled Nordin has announced that the government is seeking compensation of more than 1 billion ringgit (S$321.6 million) from Norway due to the cancellation of a naval strike missile system intended for Malaysia's combat ships.

Malaysia 's Defence Minister Mohamed Khaled Nordin delivers his remarks during the opening session of the Asean Defence Minister s' Meeting in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on Oct 31, 2025.

KUALA LUMPUR — Malaysia's defence minister on Tuesday said a notice has been sent to Norway seeking compensation of more than 1 billion ringgit , afterfor a naval strike missile system intended for Malaysian combat ships. Norway has said certain export licenses of specific defence technology to Malaysia were revoked due to a shift in in Oslo's export control regulations.

The decision caught Malaysia off guard and sparked a diplomatic row, with its Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim calling the move "unilateral and unacceptable". Defence Minister Mohamad Khaled Nordin said the government would seek compensation for both direct and indirect costs, adding that Malaysia had already paid around 126 million euros , or 95 per cent of the contract value, for the missile systems.

Malaysia would also seek additional damages to cover the cost of dismantling and replacing equipment on ships built to accommodate the Norwegian-made missiles, as well as for re-training personnel, he told reporters. Mohamed Khaled said Norway's decision raised questions over the trustworthiness of international defence partners, particularly those from Western or Nato countries.

"What has happened to us was not just a defence procurement issue. It reflects a larger problem, namely, the erosion of trust among countries in international relations," he said. The Norwegian ministry of foreign affairs did not immediately reply to a request for comment on the Malaysian compensation request.

The defence arm of Norwegian group Kongsberg said in 2018 it had agreed a 124 million euro contract with the Royal Malaysian Navy to supply NSM missiles for six littoral combat ships. Mohamed Khaled said last week there was also a second deal to supply the system to two other naval vessels.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

asiaonecom /  🏆 10. in SG

Malaysia Defence Minister Norway Compensation Cancelled Defence Deal

 

United States Latest News, United States Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Indonesian President Hands Over French-Made Rafale Jets to Military as Defence Capabilities Continue to GrowIndonesian President Hands Over French-Made Rafale Jets to Military as Defence Capabilities Continue to GrowPresident Prabowo Subianto continues to bolster Indonesia's defence capabilities, receiving French-made Rafale jets while discussing strategy with French President Macron. Learn more about the significance of these defence improvements and the strategic reforms to defend the nation's sovereignty.
Read more »

Prabowo says Indonesia will build defence capability further as Air Force receives Rafale jetsPrabowo says Indonesia will build defence capability further as Air Force receives Rafale jetsJAKARTA — Indonesia will continue to build up its defence capabilities amid an uncertain geopolitical situation, President Prabowo Subianto said on Monday (May 18) as he officially handed over six Rafale fighter jets and other military hardware to the Indonesian Air Force.
Read more »

Indonesia signed letter but made no commitment to US on airspace access, defence minister saysIndonesia signed letter but made no commitment to US on airspace access, defence minister saysJAKARTA: Indonesia's defence minister said on Tuesday (May 19) that he had signed a letter of intent last month with US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth on granting US military aircraft access to Indonesian airspa
Read more »

Malaysia Seeks Over $1 Billion Compensation After Norway Revokes Naval Missile Export LicensesMalaysia Seeks Over $1 Billion Compensation After Norway Revokes Naval Missile Export LicensesMalaysia's defence minister announced a claim exceeding RM1 billion against Norway's Kongsberg Defence after Oslo withdrew export licences for a naval strike missile system, prompting Malaysia to stop future purchases from Norway and boost local defence production.
Read more »



Render Time: 2026-05-22 04:37:16