Two of the four remaining Italians who died deep inside an underwater cave in an atoll in the Maldives have been recovered by Finnish divers.
In this handout photo release by Maldives President Media Division, a Finnish diver gets ready to attempt to recover the bodies of two of the four Italians who died deep inside an underwater cave in an atoll earlier this month, at Alimathaa Island, in Vaavu Atoll, Maldives on Tuesday .
MALE — Finnish divers on Tuesday recovered the bodies of two of the four remaining Italians who died deep inside an underwater cave in an atoll in the Maldives, an official said. The bodies were located on Monday, when searches resumed after being suspended following the death of a local military diver during a perilous mission to try to reach them. Five Italian divers went missing on Thursday, with one of the bodies recovered earlier.
The plan is to recover the remaining two bodies on Wednesday. The announcement that two bodies were recovered on Tuesday was made by presidential spokesperson Mohamed Hussain Shareef. Maldives government spokesman Ahmed Shaam had earlier said that the three Finnish divers would retrieve the bodies, which were lying at a depth of around 60 metres.
The government of the Indian Ocean island nation on Monday said that the bodies were spotted in the innermost part of the cave by the three Finnish diving experts, supported by the Maldives police and the military.
"As was previously thought, the four bodies were found inside the cave, not only inside the cave, but well inside the cave into the third segment of the cave, which is the largest part," Shaam said. The Divers' Alert Network Europe, which deployed the three Finnish divers, said on its website that they are technical and cave divers with international experience in search and recovery missions, including operations in "deep overhead environments, confined spaces and high-risk scenarios".
The team used advanced technical systems, including closed-circuit rebreathers, a system that recycles exhaled breathing gas and removes carbon dioxide through a chemical scrubber, allowing for "significantly longer dives", the organisation said. The body of a fifth Italian — a diving instructor — was found earlier outside the cave on the day they were reported missing. The five were exploring a cave at a depth of about 50 metres in Vaavu Atoll on Thursday, according to Italy's Foreign Ministry.
Initial teams had already dived to identify and mark the entrance to the cave system where the Italians disappeared.
Maldives Finnish Divers Underwater Cave Two Of The Four Missing Italians Recovery Of Bodies Diving Experts
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Hundreds of thousands of international tourists visit the Maldives each year, seeking pristine beaches, clear turquoise waters, and exotic diving spots. However, tragedy strikes the country when five Italians and a rescue diver died in the Maldives' deadliest diving disaster.The Maldives, a low-lying archipelago with nearly 1,200 islands, offers dive sites unlike any other, but they come at a steep price. The country continues to mourn the loss of the five Italians and a rescue diver, and a multinational recovery effort is underway.
Read more »
Two Navy jets collide during air show in Idaho, causing explosion and smokeTwo fighter jets collided midair during a demonstration event in the northwestern state of Idaho on Sunday, with the pilots parachuting to safety. The air show was canceled and a lockdown was declared on the base as emergency responders handle the scene and begin an investigation.
Read more »
Two residential Government Land Sales (GLS) sites launched by URAThe Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) has launched two residential Government Land Sales (GLS) sites for tender, one at Berlayar Drive and another at New Upper Changi Road. These sites are expected to draw interest from developers due to the continued demand in the private housing market and form part of the 4,575 residential units released under the Confirmed List for the 1H2026 GLS Programme.
Read more »
Maldives investigates if Italian divers went too deep in fatal cave diveMALE — Maldivian authorities are investigating multiple possible factors behind the deaths of five Italian divers in a deepwater cave last week, including whether they descended far deeper than expected, a government spokesperson told Reuters.
Read more »




