NorthKorea embassy raid group promises 'bigger things ahead'
SEOUL - A shadowy dissident group allegedly behind last month's raid on North Korea's embassy in Madrid promised"bigger things ahead" on Thursday , but said they would temporarily suspend operations because of intense media scrutiny.
"We are a group of defectors who have come together with compatriots around the world," the CCD said in a statement posted on its website. The statement did not offer any clues about where the group was located, but said it was not collaborating with defectors in South Korea due to"strict security reasons".
"They can receive international support from anti-Pyongyang forces so it has created an atmosphere for them to do more open, public campaigning," said Mr An Chan-il, a defector-turned-researcher in Seoul. Mr Park Sang-hak, a North Korean defector and activist based in Seoul who claims knowledge of CCD, told AFP most of its members were defectors settled in the US as American citizens.
In December 2006 he was arrested together with two other people in China as they tried to help six North Koreans escape, but was released 10 days later.Hong Chang later set up a consultancy firm called Pegasus Strategies LLC, describing it as"an initiative that uses cutting-edge technology to penetrate closed societies and empower people in those nations".
Singapore Latest News, Singapore Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
South Korea staffs liaison office despite North Korea pulloutSEOUL: A convoy of dozens of South Korean officials left for an inter-Korean liaison office in North Korea on Monday (Mar 25) in a bid to maintain ...
Read more »
North Korea pulls out of liaison office with SouthSEOUL: North Korea on Friday (Mar 22) pulled out of a liaison office with South Korea just north of their armed border, in a setback for South ...
Read more »
'A target on the back': North Korea embassy raid thrusts shadowy group into the spotlightA shadowy group seeking to overthrow North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has been thrust into the international spotlight after a Spanish court ...
Read more »
'A target on the back': North Korea embassy raid thrusts shadowy group into the spotlightSEOUL: A shadowy group seeking to overthrow North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has been thrust into the international spotlight after a Spanish court ...
Read more »
North Korea says Trump was open to easing sanctions with 'snapback' clause: South Korean mediaSEOUL: US President Donald Trump was open to easing sanctions on North Korea provided there was a 'snapback' clause if the North restarted nuclear ...
Read more »
North Korea says Trump was open to easing sanctions with 'snapback' clause - South Korean mediaU.S. President Donald Trump was open to easing sanctions on North Korea provided there was a 'snapback' clause if the North restarted nuclear activities, according to South Korean media reports of a North Korean statement. The new statement from a March 15 news conference by North Korean Vice
Read more »
North Korea says Trump was open to easing sanctions with 'snapback' clause: South Korean mediaSEOUL (REUTERS) - US President Donald Trump was open to easing sanctions on North Korea provided there was a'snapback' clause if the North restarted nuclear activities, according to South Korean media reports of a North Korean statement.. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
US envoy for North Korea visits Beijing: OfficialThe US special envoy for North Korea is visiting Beijing to coordinate policies with China, the US embassy said Tuesday, a month after the failure ...
Read more »
South Korea's unification minister nominee says North Korea can't have nukes, prosperitySouth Korea's nominee for unification minister said on Tuesday that North Korea cannot expect to achieve a prosperous economy and keep its weapons programmes, as nuclear talks have stalled since the collapse of a U.S.-North Korea summit last month. The summit between U.S. President Donald Trump
Read more »
Spanish judge issues warrant for North Korea embassy intrudersMADRID: A Spanish judge has issued international arrest warrants for two of the intruders who forced their way into North Korea's embassy in ...
Read more »